Hand Pain Treatment
Your hands are one of the most complex parts of your body. The bones, tendons, muscles, joints and nerves of the hands are crucial for almost every aspect of daily living. Hand injuries and disorders can cause pain, loss of sensation, loss of movement, impaired functions, loss of productivity and reduced quality of life.
Why See a Hand Surgeon?
If you experience pain in your fingers, hands, wrists or arms, one of our experienced hand doctors may be able to help. While hand surgery may be a consideration, nonsurgical treatments, such as physical and occupational therapy, are also options that can help to restore movement and reduce or eliminate your pain.
Conditions treated by an orthopedic hand specialist can include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome — treatment relieves pain, numbness and tingling in the hand and arm
- Cubital tunnel syndrome — treatment relieves numbness or tingling in the ring and small fingers, pain in the forearm and/or weakness in the hand
- Sports injuries to the hand or wrist
- Trigger finger — treatment relieves pain, stiffness and a sensation of locking or catching when you bend and straighten your finger
- Wrist pain
Types of Hand Surgery
Depending on your particular type of injury or underlying problem, it may be determined that surgery is the best option. An orthopedic hand surgeon may perform several types of surgical hand procedures, including:
- Fracture repair to fix bones in the hand or fingers
- Joint replacement, also called arthroplasty, in people with severe arthritis of the hand
- Nerve repair
- Surgical drainage to remove a collection of pus if there is an abscess in the hand
- Tendon repair
If you experience pain, numbness or other problems with your hand, it’s important you seek help soon.
Call 833-342-5264 to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic hand specialists.
Sources: Arthritis Foundation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons